Ventura Mojo

Recent Comments

Ventura Mojo

/ 6

Geek

Free Downtown Ventura WiFi

25th March 2011

Bring your iPad to lunch if you’re going to be dining in downtown Ventura, because now you can soak up some free WiFi while you dine!  The city rolled out its new free “Ventura Downtown WiFi” network this week and I’m pleased to say I’m using it right now to add this blog post and so far it’s working great.   Kudos to the city for just opening the network up and not handing the contract over to T-Mobile or one of those other silly pay-per-hour companies.  Take note LAX… if Burbank airport and the city of Ventura can do it why can’t you??

I enjoy writing about technology, travel, wine and living in Ventura, CA.

Comments

• Cody Sayre
    Posted at 11:20 pm May 10, 2011
    Cody Sayre
    Reply Author

My wife will be all over this with her iPad. 😀

• Judi Basso
    Posted at 9:22 pm April 12, 2013
    Judi Basso
    Reply Author

Took the Kindle downtown today, anxious to connect to the Wi-Fi service. Wasn’t successful, no matter what I tried. Could you give this senior a step by step, mainly:
    1. Should I be in the “Wireless On” mode when attempting?
    2. Is “lower-case” okay? (downtown ventura wifi)
    3. Should I enter “wifi or wi-fi”?

Thanks for any help

• admin
      Posted at 9:53 pm April 12, 2013
      admin
      Reply Author

Hi Judi, I don’t have a Kindle, but maybe someone else can help? I’m guessing you would have to have Wireless On, but it should find the WiFi network without having to type it in so I’m not sure why you would have to to do #2 and #3. Anyone have any advice?

• Judi Basso
        Posted at 3:57 pm April 13, 2013
        Judi Basso
        Reply Author

Thanks for the reply. Maybe someone else will come up with an idea. . . I hope, I hope. I “did” realize (after sending) that DUH, yes I would need to be in the “wireless on” mode. There is an “other” option, allowing one to type in the server, which is where I typed in “Downtown Ventura Wi-Fi”… but nada. If no one else comes back with any help, guess I’ll go down to the library on the 20th and see if one of the helpful “kids” can figure it out…

• Mattherw Paulson
    Posted at 11:15 am November 17, 2014
    Mattherw Paulson
    Reply Author

I was able to hook up to the downtown Ventura wifi a couple of times, now I’m getting limited or no connectivity errors every time I try. Yet it says my signal strength is excellent. I spent quite a long time on the web at the library checking about solutions to these kinds of problems and tried everything I could find. Yet no luck fixing it. I am running windows XP service pack 2 or 3 (not sure) with a Ralink wireless adapter. Is there anything anyone can recommend to fix this problem?

• Ariel @ One Little Library
    Posted at 6:31 am January 18, 2016
    Ariel @ One Little Library
    Reply Author

That’s awesome! Had no idea. I’ve been going to the Wine Rack for free wifi, which is great, but this is good to know about, too.